Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Clean Eating Chili- Just In Time the Snow Day

I have been getting asked a lot to post my Clean Eating Chili recipe that I make about twice a month (it makes multiple servings and freezes well). This is a great time to make it to have something warm, comforting and guilt free for the snow that is yet again coming to the North East tomorrow.

I cannot take all the credit for this recipe, it is actually out of the Nutrition Plan for Body Beast (a Beachbody program I am currently doing and will be doing a post on it later this week). I changed things up a bit and will be posting my version of the recipe. I add lots of veggies and even my husband who does not eat ANY veggies, ate this chili because you cannot taste the veggies with all the delicious seasonings. Great way to trick you picky eaters in your house into getting a good dose of veggies. If you decide to try it or have your favorite snow day recipe, comment below :)

Total servings:5-6 
Total time: 50 min
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 35 min

Ingredients
-1 teaspoon of coconut oil or olive oil
-2lbs lean ground turkey
-1 medium white onion, chopped
-1 1/2 cups of zucchini (or veggie of your choice)
-1 cup of spinach (or veggies of your choice )
-3 cloves of garlic, minced

-1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
-1 tablespoon chili powder
-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
-1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (optional but I like mine SPICY)
-1 (15 ounce) can of beans (I used Cannelloni beans or white beans)

-1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce (no sugar added kind)

1.heat oil in pot and add turkey, onion, veggies and garlic
2. Cook turkey until no longer pink
3.Add cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper, stir and cook for 1 minute
4.Stir in beans and tomato sauce and bring to boil
5.Reduce heat to low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally  for 15 to 20 minutes
6. Serve with cheese, whole wheat tortilla chips or alone :)

Nutritional facts (for 5 servings and no toppings)
Calories: 389

Protein: 48 grams
Carbs: 24 grams
Fat: 7 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment